Re: automake transition breakages

* Ondřej Surý (ondrej@sury.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recent automake transition to 1.14 broke (FTBFS) at least two of my
> packages.
>
> Would it be possible to coordinate the (next) transition better than
> upload&deal with breakages like we do with the rest of our packages?

Did the transition from automake 1.13 to automake 1.14 cause your
package to FTBFS? Can you point me at logs because that's not supposed
to happen under the new versioning scheme upstream is following (ie
1.X versions should now be backwards compatible).

If you were going from an earlier version to 1.14 (or 1.13) I have
seen a few reports of problems with unit test framework.

Right now the automake package is always tracking the latest upstream
version and new versions sometimes break things. If you're worried
about that kind of breakage then build depending on a specific version
of automake might be a better bet. If people don't like this current
scheme we can discuss if the current scheme is a bad idea.

--
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com