Re: Removing old unmaintained X drivers

Hi!

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 23:26:22 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> we (the debian X Strike Force) are thinking of removing the following
> packages from the archive, unless somebody steps up (soon) to take care
> of them.

I assume here you mean maintaining them in Debian (or perhaps upstream
too?).

> The reason is they see 0 testing, nobody maintains them
> upstream, if you're lucky people keep some of them building when APIs
> change, if you're very lucky they get a release with all the build fixes
> once in a while, and it's likely most of them don't have any users
> anymore.

Several of the below modules are claimed as maintained in upstream's
MAINTAINERS file. If that's not the case I guess it would be nice to
get that updated so that it's clear what's the status on them and so
other people can step up there if they feel like it.

> While it would probably be easy to get them to stop FTBFS
> right now, it doesn't seem worth it to keep all of those drivers around
> with the maintenance overhead that comes with that if nobody's going to
> notice anyway.

Sure, although several of them have newer releases upstream or fixes
in master that make them build from source.

> So please speak up if you want to see one of these in jessie.

I'll keep an eye on the tdfx one upstream. If it got to be removed
from Debian, I might consider taking over maintainership here.

> xserver-xorg-video-voodoo

Maintained upstream. New release builds.

> xserver-xorg-video-chips
> xserver-xorg-video-glint
> xserver-xorg-video-i128
> xserver-xorg-video-i740
> xserver-xorg-video-rendition
> xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
> xserver-xorg-video-tga
> xserver-xorg-video-tseng

Maintained upstream. Master builds.

> xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
> xserver-xorg-video-suncg14
> xserver-xorg-video-suncg3
> xserver-xorg-video-suncg6
> xserver-xorg-video-sunleo
> xserver-xorg-video-suntcx

Unmaintained upstream. New release builds.

> xserver-xorg-video-apm
> xserver-xorg-video-ark

Unmaintained upstream. Master builds.

> xserver-xorg-video-newport