Re: Replacing unrar-free with unar wrapper

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 04:30:59PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:
> My proposal is to remove unrar-free from Debian, for the reasons
> mentioned above, and add a patch to src:unar that include a wrapper
> script that provides a command-line wrapper compatible to both
> unrar-free and unrar-nonfree, so unar can become a drop-in replacement
> for both.

This all sounds like a great idea, but I would suggest that rather than
attempt to be command-line compatible with the existing tool, you
clearly define a set of command line arguments and their corresponding
semantics that you *do* support, ensuring that it is an accurate and
correct subset of the behaviour of the original tool, and implement
that. Ensure this covers the behaviour that is relied upon by the things
that you are aware of already (e.g. calibre). Otherwise 90% of your
effort will be on re-implementing esoteric or awkward features or
behaviours that are not practically required.