Re: Decision on R datasets

Le Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:08:27AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :

> Therefore, we shall consider these data files as preferred form of
> modification if the data was captured in this format from a scientific
> instrument, created manually and painstakingly by hand (this is not the
> common case), or otherwise not generated. If the data was generated, or
> converted by a script or series of scripts, the .Rda file is likely not
> the prefered form, and needs to be rebuilt at build-time from source (as
> we do with any binary in the archive).
>
> [0] http://lists.debian.org/<20130805005735.GE22595@falafel.plessy.net>
> [1] http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Documenting-data-sets

Hello FTP team and everybody,

In the thread that you cite, I sent another email where I asked for:

 - Time for a transition,
 - Precise criteria,
 - Discussion between the FTP team, the maintainers of R packages in Debian,
   and the R community.

   http://lists.debian.org/20130807233230.GA12437@falafel.plessy.net

With the above, I got none of what I asked.

 - There is nothing about how to deal with packages that fail your criteria
   and that are already in Debian.

 - Your criteria are imprecise: How do you want me to negociate with upstream
   developers on the basis that their data was not created "painstakingly"
   enough to be distributable in binary format ?

 - There was no discussion before you announce your decision, which suggests
   that further discussion is not possible.

Currently, I can not bear the work load created by your decision, in particular
because of the lack of coordination and negociation with the R community.  I
do not agree your reasonnings, and threfore can not be your voice upstream.  It
is unfortunate that you did not seek their point of view (at least in public).

I therefore decided to stop uploading R packages to Debian.  I use some of
these packages on multiple computers, and will keep on sharing my work with
others on Alioth, but that is all.  For any of them where I was the sole
uploader, please feel free to delete them from our archive.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,