Re: packaging data that can't be distributed as part of a Debian package

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:10:07PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> > So, I suppose anyone using the software needs to download it. I'll
> > provide a script to download the data, but if I want to build a
> > Debian package containing that data, how should I do it?
>
> Maybe studying other download-and-package packages, like "java-package", can
> help.  In your case, apparently you can automate the "get the data file"
> part, which java-package is forbidden to do.

I'd also recommend java-package, which when last I looked (prior to the opening
up and subsequent closing of the Java licenses, though, caveat) was well put
together. It was an inspiration for "game-data-packager" which might also be
worth a look (disclaimer: I wrote a lot of it)