changes in python packaging

I'm having problems with one of my packages that includes a python
module.  The package is vips.  I am not a python person, so this may be
simple.

The last time I built the package, there were several module binary
files that got installed appropriately.  For example:

% dpkg --listfiles python-vipscc| grep vmaskmodule.a
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/vipsCC/vmaskmodule.a
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vipsCC/vmaskmodule.a

Now when I rebuild the package with no changes at all, I get something
like this:

% dpkg --contents python-vipscc_7.34.2-1_amd64.deb| grep vmaskmodule.a
-rw-r--r-- root/root   1127858 2013-09-15 09:33 ./usr/share/pyshared/vipsCC/vmaskmodule.a
lrwxrwxrwx root/root         0 2013-09-15 09:33 ./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vipsCC/vmaskmodule.a -> ../../../../share/pyshared/vipsCC/vmaskmodule.a

Okay, this example shows a newer version of the package, but when I
rebuild the exact same version as before, I get the same result.

This looks like a bug to me, but I'm not even sure where to report the
bug.  What thing is responsible for having decided to move this module
to /usr/share and make a symlink, assuming that's what happened, even
though it's architecture-dependent?  Is this a problem with my
packaging, or is there a bug in whatever is doing this?

My best guess is that this is an issue with dh_python2, though I don't
know whether a change in dh_python2 is exposing a long-standing problem
with the upstream package, or whether this is a new bug, or whether this
is a difference because of fewer python versions being available or
what.

Thanks.  This is blocking me from uploading a new version of vips.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>