Re: dpkg-shlibdeps question when creating Debian packages

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:07:17AM -0500, Pedro DeKeratry wrote:
> I received the following warnings when building with dpkg-buildpackage

> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol pthread_sigmask used by
> debian/libyrp/usr/lib/libyrp.so.2.0.0 found in none of the libraries
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol pthread_join used by
> debian/libyrp/usr/lib/libyrp.so.2.0.0 found in none of the libraries
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol pthread_create used by
> debian/libyrp/usr/lib/libyrp.so.2.0.0 found in none of the libraries

> My understanding is that pthread is in libc6 which is listed as a
> dependency in my package. Any pointers?

You're correct that it's part of the libc6 package.  But that's the
*package* dependency; this warning is about a missing *ELF* dependency.  The
library uses symbols from libpthread but does not link to it.  This is a
bug, even when it doesn't cause any difference to the package dependencies.