Re: #688251: Built-Using description too aggressive

Dear all,

there has been discussions about the Built-Using field and the way
it is currently documented in the Policy.  I think that there are
a short and a long term issue.

  - In the short term, we can correct the wording to match the FTP
    team's current practice, and reduce the confusion introduced by
    the Policy.

  - In the long term, somebody should step up and investigate whether
    Debian (and other distributions) does benefit or not from the license
    exceptions in the libc, GCC and similar packages, which would imply
    either a lot of extra work for us, or a correction of the license
    terms upstream (which may want to help us focusing on good work).

Here three quotations from earlier discussions.

    http://lists.debian.org/20120929170416.GB164@mannheim-rule.local

    http://lists.debian.org/87li75mo5b.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu

Le Thu, May 23, 2013 at 01:34:08PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> In a discussion of mksh-static (see http://bugs.debian.org/709382), the
> question of GPL compliance for the source code of the components of libgcc
> and libc that are incorporated into binaries came up.  mksh-static of
> course links statically and therefore pulls in substantial portions of
> library source, but there are parts of libgcc and possibly libc that are
> always incorporated into binaries, even ones that are dynamically linked.
>
> I had previously assumed that this did not impose any restrictions on
> source code availability for the libgcc and libc source because they both
> have run-time exceptions that basically allow one to incorporate that code
> into binaries under any other license without following the terms of the
> GPL or LGPL.  However, Thorsten has raised the interesting point that the
> license of the source code for the binary may be GPL with no exceptions,
> and therefore under the GPL the resulting compiled executable is covered
> by the GPL and we have to provide its complete source code.  That would
> seem to include the source for the incorporated static libgcc and libc
> components, since Debian cannot make use of the operating system component
> exception in the GPL.
>
> Obviously, I don't think anyone does this, and we've never done it
> historically.  But "no one does this" isn't the most compelling argument
> when it comes to license compliance.

    http://lists.debian.org/87li75mo5b.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu

I would like to make the short-term clarification for the next revision of the
Policy.  In its simplest form, it could be the addition of something like "when
the combination of licenses requires to keep all the sources", plus a footnote
informing that the case of the libc and libgcc are being investigated, and that
the current practice is to consider that we can benefit form their exception to
the GPL.

Please let us know your thoughts and suggestions by replying to
688251@bugs.debian.org.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy