Re: buildd could run "make -i" twice on failure

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 11:28:31PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> After a build fails on the buildd, it would be really useful to have the
> build run again twice with "make -i" and log the output of the second retry

What's the main advantage of doing so?  To log further errors not
seen due to the first failure?  Why not just use "-k" to begin
with?

> Obviously I could hack something like this into debian/rules:
>

> make || make -i ; make -i ; exit 1
>
> but it would be nice to have a centrally managed approach

There's no guarantee that "make" is being used for building, and
it's non-trivial to determine if it is or is not in use, nor how
to invoke it appropriately.  If we want to do it centrally, it
would be more reliable to add a new target which sbuild or other
build tools could invoke on error, and which package maintainers
could add to support their specific requirements.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh