Re: Less dinstall FTW?

Hi Ansgar,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 02:39:09PM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> So what's the proposed change?
> ------------------------------

> The more interesting part of the proposal has so far been ignored by
> most replies: we would make the incoming.d.o archive public. This would
> mean all new uploads are available after ~15 minutes via APT, a lot
> faster than the current interval between dinstall runs.

> The less interesting part is the (optional) change in dinstall
> frequency. As the main reason for a higher frequency falls away as new
> uploads are accessible via incoming.d.o, we could revert back to running
> dinstall twice per day (instead of four times). Or we could stay at four
> times.

> The open question is if having earlier (easy) access to uploads is
> worthwhile or if it would just lead to people running apt-get update in
> a loop to always have the newest packages without any real gains for the
> project.

So for me, that's not the important question.  I think having an aptable
incoming.d.o seems reasonably worthwhile, but I also think it's important
that packages reach the *real* archive as quickly as possible, and not have
end users (incl. developers) pulling from an intermediate "incoming" archive
on any sort of routine basis.

The question for me is, other than the perception that the 4x daily dinstall
is "no longer needed" with an aptable incoming, is there a reason *to*
reduce the dinstall frequency?  If not, I agree with Joey and Ian that
frequent archive publication is useful in its own right for a variety of
reasons.

Cheers,