Re: How git performs when you throw all of Debian at it

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 11:27:33AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Luca Filipozzi
> > > Because I thought the answer was going to be “not in the Linux kernel,
> > > no chance”.
> > We also run kfreebsd, with some challenge, but we have it.
> It's not really an option for codesearch since codesearch needs systemd,
> though.

Also I'm not sure how ZFS would solve the basic constraints of hardware
and be a magic bullet. The index can already be compressed in the application
layer. Deduplication adds the need to use a lot of RAM for the dedup tables.
The L2ARC of ZFS is commonly put on SSDs we don't have. So it'd basically yield
the need to add a lot of RAM to the VM for a reasonably sized ZFS in-memory
cache and the dedup tables for probably not much gain in avoided seeks (if git
delta dedup doesn't even find that much, why would block-level debug work
better). It's not that it wasn't proposed to instead throw RAM onto more page
cache (which could yield similar savings), which was equally considered a bad
choice.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern