Re: default MTA

On 15/06/13 13:04, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:15:03PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> The issue that worries me most about these desktop notification plans is
>> the possibility that some package may decide to unnecessarily drop
>> support for non-desktop systems, adding dependencies on the desktop
>> notification system. I believe we already have had a few examples of
>> such unnecessary dependencies on services which are "nice to have", like
>> GNOME depending on NetworkManager for example.
>
> I'm having a hard time understanding this particular gripe.  If you're
> running a non-desktop system (by this I take it to mean that you're not
> using a GUI), why would you worry about GNOME's dependencies anyhow?
>
> If you're using a desktop system it doesn't feel like a stretch to use
> functionality that fits in with the desktop system.  And vice versa,
> obviously.

This concern could be put another way: that if the mailer is not
present, developers will no longer assume it is present and will choose
other dependencies (maybe just syslog or maybe a GUI) as a way of
raising alerts

I prefer to look at it the other way though: how can we make mail
integration so effective that developers will want to use it for
everything and it works more seamlessly with or without a GUI?  I agree
that mail works, but in a default deployment, it does little to
prioritize or de-duplicate alerts from applications and the OS.