Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:
> > I still think you should also update the table with information if the
> > library is actually used in PID 1 (or in forked process) as hmh suggested:
> >
> >> It would be best to enhance
> >> http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html with
> >> information about what runs on PID 1, and what runs after fork() and how
> >> critical it is.
> I don’t understand what you mean by this.
>
> The table — as published — already differentiates between PID 1 (section
> 2 of the document) and all other binaries (section 3 of the
> document). Anything not listed in section 2 is not required in PID 1.

I think what he meant is that section 2 lists libpam.so.0 as a
dependency, even though PAM is not run in PID 1. So from the table it is
not obvious that libpam is NOT a dependency of the core systemd daemon
in the sense that faulty PAM modules would make PID 1 crash etc.