Re: x32 “half”arrived… now what?

Matthias Klose wrote:
>Multi-Arch isn't there yet. And even if it is, the multilib builds should be
>kept for some more releases.  There is a lot to do on the Debian side, and on
>the upstream side.  So maybe it helps your understanding to get the required
>patches upstream to get multilib working with a multiarch setup.

OK, maybe this weekend I'll work on creating patches to the gcc packaging to
allow gcc-multilib to use multiarch libraries.  My basic idea right now would
be something like:

* Both lib32gcc1:amd64 and libgcc1:i386 provide an alternative for
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so pointing to its version of
libgcc_s.so.*, with libgcc1:i386 having the higher priority.
* The gcc-4.8 packaging (for lib32gcc-4.8-dev:amd64) makes
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/32/libgcc_s.so a symlink to
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.
* Then the rest is just adjusting dependencies on lib32gcc1 to alternatives
libgcc1:i386 | lib32gcc1, etc.
--
Daniel Schepler