Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to implement either

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 05:36:46PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> A. resolv.conf is a static file which changes only very rarely.
>     Implications:

or

> B. resolv.conf is not static and may change due to network
>    environment changes.

Just how do we move from these suggestions to a coherent system design?
Fact is that some applications don't cope with /etc/resolv.conf changing
(i.e. A). Also fact is that in the presence of resolvconf,
/etc/resolv.conf can be a dynamic file (i.e. B). The current situation
is not coherent and this causes breakage (and will cause more breakage
in a systemd world).

Again, either option is better than leaving this undecided. There is no
obviously correct choice here. Trying to file a policy bug to settle on
either option will likely not work out due to disagreement later. Maybe
this question should be answered by ctte?

Helmut