Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

Le 12/06/2013 09:49, Marc Haber a écrit :
> On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 01:04:38 +0200, Michael Stapelberg
> <stapelberg@debian.org> wrote:
>> since some people might not read planet debian, here is a link to my
>> first blog post in a series of posts dealing with the results of the
>> Debian systemd survey:
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2013/06/09/systemd-bloat.html
>
> Thanks for a remarkably unbiased view on the matter. I have to object
> against one part though:
>
> |While it is sad that those machines cannot profit from systemd, switching
> |to systemd as a default has no downside either: Debian continues to
> |support sysvinit for quite some time, so these machines will continue
> |to work even with upcoming Debian versions.
>
> I doubt this will happen. Once systemd is the default on Deban/GNU
> Linux, people will stop testing their init scripts, or they will even
> stop shipping init scripts, leaving the task of writing or testing
> init scripts to the non-Linux porters, which will of course decrease
> their quality since init scripts should be written and tested by
> people knowing the initted software very intimately.

However, the set of machines not able to switch to systemd and needing
complicated init scripts is probably quite small. And the init scripts
won't suddenly deteriorate. And I suspect that all suspicious cases will
receive bugs, and then patches, and that maintainers will integrate
these patches.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq