Re: default MTA

* Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> [130611 18:35]:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 12:45:07PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Sendmail has just one more layer of indirection by virtue of the m4
> > macros. Postfix has most of its behavior hard coded in the C sources,
> > while exim's behavior can be controlled by run-time configuration if
> > an advanced user wants to do things that Debian's abstraction layer
> > was not designed to handle.
>
> There are a class of users between beginner and exim expert for which the
> current state of affairs is not optimal. I don't know how big that class
> is but I've been in it for ten years.

The only class of users I can imagine the current situation not optional
is someone being used to postfix[1]. When I remember learning exim I found
it quite nice that the config is quite self-explaining what it is
actually doing. With postfix the config is just black magic, where one
has hardly any chance to understand what it does and how to change it to
do what you want to change.

[1] And those can simply install postfix and be done with it.

        Bernhard R. Link