Re: DH way to set SONAME

On 09/06/13 12:53, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> On 09/06/13 08:00, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> because of backward incompatibility I have to add a suffix to
>> my library package name. But lintian keep noticing the mismatch.
>> I know the the soname of a library can be specify by passing
>> appropriate options to the gcc tools: is a DH way to do so ?
>
> Don't patch your library to change the SONAME in Debian.

Ok

 If the ABI was broken,

I have already contact the upstream maintainer for providing
an official `version script' in order to export only official
symbols: we are working on it.

 > tell upstream and let them bump the SONAME.

I ask him, but let me ask something before:
does it make sense to bump the SONAME and to keep
the versionning  of the upstream package as before.

If they don't, then it's better to
> add a suffix to the Debian package (such as libfoo1 -> libfoo1a) and add
> unversioned Breaks/Replaces against the old libfoo1.

I have already done this, but I was annoying by lintian warnings

 lintian isn't always right,
> you can ignore the warning.

Ok

> Patching a library downstream to bump the SONAME needs to be done only in very
> special cases and when you know what you're doing. For instance you're going to
> break compatibility with third party software that links against the old SONAME.

Thanks for the insights,
Jerome