Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

 ❦  9 juin 2013 11:45 CEST, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> :

> You do of course not have to agree.  This is my personal opinion only.
> But I believe it is useful to read Jamie Zawinski's view on screensavers
> and toolkit library dependencies, and try to figure out how that can be
> relevant to systemd and external dependencies:
> http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

systemd does not rely on a toolkit. So, most of the arguments listed by
Jamie do not hold. I suppose that you are mostly worried by libdbus
since other libraries are already used in other critical
daemons. However, note that:

 - D-Bus is not a new project, it is now 10 years old
 - security is a primary concern for dbus
 - there are a lot of unit tests covering dbus code
 - memory allocation failure is also tested and crashing on that is
   considered as a bug
 - systemd uses dbus to avoid to introduce a new (buggy) RPC mechanism

Moreover, I am not aware of critics against D-Bus code quality. The
coding practice is modern and seems safe.
--
Use statement labels that mean something.