Re: NDEBUG when building packages?

Quoting Russ Allbery (2013-06-07 20:29:24)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> > Quoting Stephen M. Webb (2013-06-07 14:29:52)
>
> >> Having debug symbols not matching the runtime would cause a great
> >> deal of trouble.  If you're expecting a lot of debugging, try the
> >> new -Og switch.
>
> >> One build pass and let dh_strip create the debug symbols package
> >> for you.  Unless you're not using dh, in which case your build
> >> system is probably already broken and needs to get fixed first.
>
> > Fud!
>
> > Please support your "dh is a silver bullet" meme with some concrete
> > references.
>
> I'm pretty sure Stephen just meant "debhelper" where he said "dh".  No
> need to get excited.  :) CDBS of course also uses debhelper, and hence
> has the same capability.

Hmm, right - point taken.  I read it as "if you're not leaving it to dh
sequencer to stitch things automagically together..." but that sure
isn't what is quoted above, nor the only possible interpretation, so
I'll lean back in my couch and think of nicer alternatives :-)

...and for the record, CDBS only *optionally* uses debhelper, leaving
plenty of room for shooting oneself in the foot if that's desired. ;-)

 - Jonas