Re: x32 ???half??? arrived??? now what?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 11:27:15AM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 10:23:14AM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > tglase@tglase:~ $ fgrep X32 /boot/config-3.9-1-amd64
> > # CONFIG_X86_X32 is not set
>
> See http://wiki.debian.org/X32Port and
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00355.html

While I hope there will be reasons to enable this flag soon, the port isn't
really ready yet.  While with packages from the unofficial repository (less
official than -ports, that is), a significant part of the archive has been
autobuilt, using only packages from unstable is not even enough to
debootstrap.

Today, if you try:
debootstrap --arch=x32 unstable . http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
it will fail because of findutils.

As of findutils, we have:
* 4.4.2 in unstable, FTBFSes on x32
* 4.5.11 in experimental, works.
I guess everyone assumed 4.5.11 will go to unstable soon and thus didn't
bother patching the old version, but it's currently blocked at least by
#704879 -- there's a long-deprecated extension that finally went away
after some refactoring, and some things may still be using it.

So if the port doesn't even debootstrap without jumping through extra hoops,
having to recompile the kernel is not a big obstacle.  Let's put some more
work before bothering our kernel guys again.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ