Re: Forming a Debian bugsquad team (Was: "Blacklists" in BTS (stopping the trolls and bug machines))

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 09:01:40PM +0200, Ond??ej Surý wrote:
> If we are to form the Debian bugsquad team similar to Ubuntu bugsquad team,
> the main two questions would be:
>
> 1. As a Debian Developer/Maintainer would you be thankful for other people
> to come and help with bugs in your package.
> 2. Can we find enough volunteers to form such team?
>
> The idea would be to have a team of pasionate people who would constantly
> try to improve Debian as a whole and they would help the maintainers to
> triage bugs.
>
> The criteria for choosing bugs to help with might be:
> 1. the 'help' tag
> 2. the 'moreinfo' tag
> 3. the age of the bug
> 4. bugs without an answer
> 5. special user-tag, f.e. 'bugsquad@lists.alioth.debian.org'

Well, we already all do that with our plentifull spare time, don't we?

At least I see nothing about the bugsquad team having (or needing) any
special power any DD (and non DD with a sponsor) already has. But that
is on the bug side.

More importantly is probably: What is the benefit for someone joining
the bugsquad team?

For example: Will there be some organization and sharing of skills
that make it easier to fix bugs? Like for someone with knowledge in C
to join up with someone with knowledge of maintainer scripts to fix a
bug that involves both (sorry, it's hard to think of examples).

I think finding volunteers will be the problem so you need to create
some incentive for people to join the team instead of going at it
alone.

MfG
	Goswin

PS: Another thing the bugsquad team might do is help with organizing
bugsquash parties. Collect instructions on how best to organize such
an event. Help with getting sponsors and how to give feedback to
sponsors so they feel like their money is well spend and such.