Re: Debian systemd survey

On 02/06/13 13:15, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Most config files are not really user-editable under Debian.
> So, splitting config files is a
> way to avoid that, not in all cases but in most cases (this is not
> specific to sysvinit, apparently just a consequence of the old
> wishlist bug 32877, from 1999!).
>
> Aren't systemd and upstart config files affected by this problem?

The current upstream systemd has an "include" mechanism by which the
unit in /etc can say "copy all keys from the upstream version in /lib,
then set Foo=bar", and also a mechanism by which individual keys in a
unit can be overridden by a separate file in a .d directory
corresponding to that unit. I think the older version currently in
Debian has the former, but not the latter.

I don't know about Upstart. If it doesn't have an equivalent of that
systemd feature, I'm sure one could be added.