Re: default MTA

Le 31/05/2013 13:10, Marc Haber a écrit :
> On Fri, 31 May 2013 08:41:56 +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq
> <jcdubacq1@free.fr> wrote:
>> Le 30/05/2013 18:29, Marc Haber a écrit :
>>>
>>> It is not a good idea to drop the way that > 90 % of programs use to
>>> deliver messages. I really hate the idea of having a thing as fragile
>>> as dbus on a server just to collect status messages.
>>
>> 73.6% of all statistics are made up.
>
> You have a point here. I shold have written the vast majority.
>
>> The way most programs deliver messages is actually syslog.
>
> Which is an epic nightmare to parse automatically if one needs to put
> messages in relation to each other and is only readable if all
> messages are shorter than, say, 160 characters. Even firewall log
> messages are way longer than that already.

And yet, I remain convinced that I do redirect many root accounts to my
own account, and I have yet to see very important messages coming that way.

When I stop receiving useless messages from one machine, *that* means
something, namely, that the machine is broken. But anyone seriously
keeping an eye on server will install some kind of munin/nagios, and on
desktops, disk tools will notify the user when the computer is used.

All the rest belongs to syslog. I seem to recall that some init system
has a specific additional format to store logs and make them easily
searchable, by the way.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq