Re: Web ID as passwordless authentication for debian web services

Quoting Russ Allbery (2013-05-16 18:37:06)
> So, again, it comes down to what problem we're trying to solve.  If
> the problem is just how do we authenticate Debian contributors to
> Debian systems, then we're actually in the institutional case and we
> don't have to trust anyone outside the project: we can deploy our own
> central authentication system -- a CA, a Kerberos KDC, or any other
> authentication system of choice -- and have all parties trust it, and
> that will be much simpler and much easier to analyze than any of the
> distributed models. Once we have our own CA, we could of course do
> secure WebID if we wanted to using that CA (modulo the inherent
> dubiousness of substituting endpoint authentication for user
> authentication),

Above is *exactly* what I would love Debian to do.

> but it's not clear to me why we'd bother as opposed to just issuing
> client X.509 certificates with the metadata already included.

Because the very separation of identifiers from the identified makes the
identifiers usable to reliably semantically express Web of Data.

http://linkeddata.org/

 - Jonas