Re: Web ID as passwordless authentication for debian web services

[ Cc'ing Daniel to help kill my misconceptions, as need be ]

Quoting Russ Allbery (2013-05-16 17:42:20)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>
> > This seems similar as WebID: In principle ties to HTTPS - and
> > therefore the CA cartel - is only optional (other URIs than http
> > ones suffice).  In reality alternatives to HTTP(S) is work in
> > progress.

First of all: Thanks for your quite easy to follow
explanation/reasoning!

> Changing the protocol doesn't help you get away from the CA
> dependency. The reason why there's a CA dependency is not because it
> happens to use the HTTPS protocol.  It's because you have to
> authenticate the provider of identity data (the other end of the URI,
> whatever it may be) or you're vulnerable to having the attacker
> intercept your query and supply whatever data they want.  There's no
> way around that.

I believe that with WebID I can get rid of the CA *cartel* while still
reliably using TLS: By using a server cert from same key material as a
PGP key, I can (contrary to a self-signed cert) verify that the cert is
not being handed by a man in the middle (e.g. using Monkeysphere).

> In theory, you could use the PGP web of trust instead, but bear in
> mind that the security model of WebID is based on validating the URI
> endpoint rather than the user.  URI end points generally don't have
> PGP keys, nor are they generally part of the PGP web of trust, so
> there's a bit of a bootstrapping problem there.

Generally today servers use cartel-issued certs, that is correct.

But what relevancy does that have to the ability to do different?

Each webmaster is free to trust cartels for their server certs, but I
don't see how that stops other webmasters to choose not to trust cartels
and instead create "PGP-linked" certs instead.

> To a large extent, the practical effect of WebID is that it's a way of
> substituting one authentication system for another.  The problem that
> it's trying to solve is that user key distribution and key
> verification is hard, so it allows the user to bind their key to a URI
> and the server to verify that the URI and the key are bound by
> retrieving the URI.  In essence, this moves the authentication problem
> from user authentication to URI endpoint authentication, under the
> theory that we already know how to validate URI endpoints and that
> such validation is an easier problem.  If you don't agree with the
> assertion that we already know how to validate URI endpoints (which is
> the source of the objections to trusting the CA cartel), WebID looks
> to me like it basically falls apart from a security standpoint.

Thanks for distilling the essential weak part. Both for further
discussion, and as help for the drivers of WebID to refine their
documentation (they are following this thread).

 - Jonas