Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

On 15-05-13 17:39, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> As for your requests of data: I do not provide them. As I said above,
> I’m pushing for freedom of choice, not switching the default; of course
> I’d be happy with the latter, even more so actually, but it must be a
> thing not driven by me;

I see.

In that case, might I suggest a change of strategy? I understand your
desire to not let your own biases get in the way of technically sound
decisions (and that's admirable), but in this case, I think it's not the
right thing to do.

Providing freedom of choice for the system shell isn't something that's
wanted by a lot of our users, and it isn't something you'll be likely to
get many people to buy in to. On the other hand, if you manage to
provide sound technical arguments as to why switching the system shell
away from dash and to mksh might be a good idea, I don't see why we
would reject it. We'd prefer to avoid having to do yet another switch,
so the arguments would have to be fairly compelling; but if they are,
hey, more power to you.

If you're not really about choice but are about promoting mksh, then
that's really what you'd like, too.

[...]
>> Using the diversion mechanism to change /bin/sh is highly risky and was
>> never supported.
>
> Actually, dash uses a diversion too, so it was supported pretty well.

Well, no, not really; it causes many problems...

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/