Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

On Fri, May 3, 2013 15:09, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> > No, it's not. Source only uploads were banned many years ago, mainly
>> due
>> > to problems with maintainers not even build testing their packages.

> They do. They just ignore the issue; they can do that because it's a
> scalability issue that, ultimately, can be fixed by throwing large
> amounts of hardware (for more build hosts) at it. Debian does not have
> that luxury.

I'm not sure how we can know the amount of unneeded build failures would
be caused by such a strategy. Why do you think the current infrastructure
can't handle these cases? How many do you think there will be, as a
percentage?

I would think that the only way to know that is to try and see actually
how much of these uploads would happen as a percentage of the total number
of uploads. This extra cost in wasted cycles would then have to be offset
to the benefit to DD's, especially those with huge packages and/or slow
connections.

In general I believe that within Debian's available sets of resources,
compute cycles is probably the one we have the most of (and can be
bought). Compare that with DD time and effort, which we probably have the
least of. So if we can save DD time and effort while spending more cycles,
I'm all for it.

Thijs