Re: Debian two-factor auth, GSoC?

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 05:38:38PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Russ Allbery]
> > Oh, I thought they'd given up on Safe.  For some reason it stuck in
> > my mind that it had too many issues and ended up being deprecated.
> > Apparently, I either made that up or misremembered something.
>
> Possibly you were thinking of suidperl, the hack to allow Perl programs
> to use setuid and setgid, working around the fact that most Unix
> kernels don't honor the setuid + setgid bits when launching #! scripts.
> suidperl was dropped some years ago because it had too many issues.

No, it's this:
http://search.cpan.org/~rgarcia/Safe-2.35/Safe.pm

(I seem to remember using a very early version of this, which was the
only way to run a CGI script in my web space at university.  It was
definitely very restricted, but then I wasn't a particularly inventive
Perl programmer.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings