Re: Interactive package management via aptitude

On 04/09/2013 11:57 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:32:52AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

On 09/04/2013 06:43, Adam Borowski wrote:

Have you been able to get that effect from aptitude?  It seems that
whenever it sees some trouble (sometimes even when plain apt-get would
succeed), it proposes to remove the world, install a few unrelated
packages, and not do whatever you requested it to.  After declining a
varying number of such "solutions", it gives up even if it would take a
single action to resolve the problem.

Yeah, I have actually. It's just that the recent multiarch issues (which
still haven't been fixed) tend to lead to aptitude attempting to remove the
whole (foreign-arch) world. If none of the other decisions make sense,
you're actually able to prod aptitude in the right direction by supplying
some extra operations interactively at the [Y|n|q] prompt.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to recommend aptitude in its present
state.

I wouldn't recommend it when operating with multiarch enabled. Otherwise
it's mostly fine.

Yes but it is not that bad. I was also shocked to see:
 * denial of downgrade request as the first suggestion
 * massive package removal as the second suggestion

I've seen behaviors approximating this from aptitude even without multiarch -
indeed, from years before multiarch was even proposed AFAIK.

It's precisely that sort of thing that leads me to use apt-get over aptitude
almost exclusively. When going through a dozen or more - or several dozen -
suggested resolutions which don't even come close to achieving what I requested
on the command line (and often seem to be getting progressively further away
from it, at that) is more the rule than the exception for aptitude, but apt-get
seems to consistently find a suitable resolution on the first try, it seems to
me that something is wrong with the aptitude resolver.

apt-get's dependency resolver may be less "smart" than that of aptitude, but it
also seems to fail less stupidly. Since last I heard mixing and matching between
the two is not encouraged (though I don't know why not), and since dealing with
the limitations of apt-get is far less aggravating for me than dealing with the
attempted cleverness of aptitude, I find the older program by far the more
preferable solution.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger