Re: Interactive package management via aptitude

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 04:19:19AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

>> Actually, in the event of aptitude not being able to resolve the
>> dependencies satisfactorily the first round (from aptitude install
>> foo), aptitude allows you to interactively pick other solutions, or
>> tell it what to do:

> Have you been able to get that effect from aptitude?  It seems that
> whenever it sees some trouble (sometimes even when plain apt-get would
> succeed), it proposes to remove the world, install a few unrelated
> packages, and not do whatever you requested it to.  After declining a
> varying number of such "solutions", it gives up even if it would take a
> single action to resolve the problem.

That's not my experience.  The first suggestion is sometimes wrong, but
usually if there is a valid approach (and sometimes there isn't), the
right solution will be in the first three, or more rarely in the first
five.

I use this functionality all the time, quite happily.