Re: upgraded systems won't boot from UUID volumes

On 08-04-13 08:53, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I'm not suggesting that squeeze systems were installed that way by
> default, although people who have migrated an FS from a raw partition
> to an LV may have this in fstab.

And that fact alone makes it a non-RC bug -- if it's even a bug at all.

Changing the way the root filesystem is mounted without performing a
reinstallation is something that's fairly advanced. I'm not saying we
shouldn't support people who wish to do something like that, but if they
do it, they should make sure that whatever configuration they're using
afterwards is still a valid configuration.

Having a root filesystem on a logical volume, specified by UUID, is not
strictly a valid configuration. It may work if you're not using
snapshots, but it might have unforeseen consequences. So Don't Do That
Then(TM).

If Debian exhibits "wrong" behaviour upon encountering a "strange"
configuration that, while valid, is not possible to generate using any
of Debian's tools, then that is probably a bug; but I fail to see why it
should be release-critical.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,