Re: upgraded systems won't boot from UUID volumes

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 04:19:15PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 07/04/13 15:47, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 15:25:43 +0200 Daniel Pocock
> > <daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> I notice this bug was downgraded below the RC threshold and
> >> appears to have been missed so far:
> >
> > It was only pushed to RC status by your request and then almost
> > immediately moved back to original severity of Important by one of
> > the maintainers.
> >
> > It is up to the maintainers to assign severity of bugs. Why have
> > you not asked the maintainers of their opinion of the severity?
> >

> Because they already downgraded below the RC status, so I'm curious if
> other people have reason to believe there is a problem.
>
> I have only come across a few systems with UUID in fstab, but if
> somebody else is aware of widespread use of this, now is probably the
> time to comment.

UUIDs are used by default AFAICS when the installer creates the
fstab, and should work just fine.  Just looking and I don't have
an example system which uses UUIDs /and/ LVM root, however--this
does not appear to be the default for LVM.  While this is an
important issue, the fact that it's not hit by default might be
one reason for lowering the severity.

The patches look reasonable.  Though for scripts/local-top/lvm2
you might be able to merge the case into the previous case,
since they look identical.

Regards,
Roger

--