Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:52:35 +0200
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> On 2013-03-31 23:20:23 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > The length of the freeze is not the fault of the release team.
> >
> > The length of the freeze is down to all of the contributors to Debian
> > not fixing enough RC bugs - I count myself in that, I've managed to get
> > massively less done for this release than for previous ones. There are
> > reasons, it doesn't change the reality that the freeze is still ongoing.
>
> I disagree. If the freeze occurred only once (almost) all RC bugs
> were fixed, there would be (almost) no delay. I suspect that the
> length of the freeze is due to the fact that the freeze occurred
> while too many RC bugs were already open.

The release happens when (almost) all RC bugs are fixed, the freeze is
to allow the existing bugs to be fixed whilst *protecting* the other
packages from breakage caused by new software being uploaded.

The RC bug count only ever comes down once a freeze is in place.

New software causes new bugs, that's inescapable. To reduce the bug
count, existing software must be fixed without allowing new software to
continue breaking things and whilst making the absolute minimal
changes to the software which is still working. *That* is the freeze.

--

Neil Williams