Re: Splitting the devscripts package

On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 14:41:53 +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 31.03.2013, 00:13 +0000 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> > There is no reason why Debian couldn't continue to be upstream for
> > these, but hosting on freedesktop.org might make them more visible to
> > other distributions.
> >
> > [...]
> > > Debian packaging specific scripts
> > > =================================
> > [...]
> >
> > These might usefully be further divided into truly Debian-specific and
> > dpkg/apt-specific, at least in binary packages.
>
> What would this additional split give us as advantage? Are there
> distributions that use dpkg/apt, but are not Debian derivatives?

What David has said about apt applies to dpkg too. I know of at least
Mac OS X, iOS and Solaris distributions not based on Debian, dpkg also
has been used on say HP-UX systems. And there's of course non-Debian
based GNU/Linux systems like UHU-Linux (AFAIUI).

(If people know of others I'd be interested to hear to be able to
track dpkg downstreams: <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Downstream>.)

Thanks,
Guillem