Re: bugs.debian.org: something's wrong...

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:35:13AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:17:16PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> >
> > > The bigger concern is that this is a web bug, whether it wants to be
> > > or not. Whoever hosts any of the images being included knows the IP
> > > address and time of every visitor to a bug report.
> >
> > Only if you use a web browser that is obeying other people's web
> > servers instead of obeying you the user. I suggest that everyone in
> > this thread should fix their web browser so that it obeys them, as I
> > have done.
>
> If your browser downloads an image, then the server hosting the image
> at the very least knows your IP.

I guess he meant blocking requests to third-party domains, which is not that
viable an idea these days, with most pages pulling parts from 676754693479
CDNs, taking jquery from yet another source, etc.  Blacklisting tracking
bastards, though, is pretty mandatory if you care the slightest bit about
privacy.

In this case, though, what about making the request on the BTS' side?  This
would reveal nothing about the user who actually reads a bug page to
gravatar.  The bandwidth needed to do so is totally negligible.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ