Re: GPLv2-only considered harmful [was Re: GnuTLS in Debian]

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 02:59:35 +0400, Stephen M. Webb
<stephen.webb@bregmasoft.ca> wrote:

On 12/28/2013 04:15 PM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 04:11:18PM -0500, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
On 12/28/2013 03:53 PM, Clint Adams wrote:
On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 09:45:09AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
As one of the "GPL v2 only" proponents, I take affront.  I choose to
license what little software I release as GPL v2 only because I do not consider the GPL v3 to have what attracted me to use the GPL v2 in the
first place.

The only theoretical advantage I see to GPLv2 is in the termination
clause, and in practice that seems to be really more trouble than
it's worth.

Beyond that you have substandard and unclear wording, tivoization,
lesser patent protection, and incompatibility with Apache 2.0.

So what about that is attractive, and what about v3 is so intolerable
that you cannot abide your software being distributed under it or
combined with v3+ works?

There are organization who will allow v2 but not v3 because of the tivoizaton and patent clauses. A developer may want
his work to be used by such organizations as well as by Debian.

That would be an argument for v2+, not v2 only.

Nope. An organization that will not accept the GPLv3 because of the tivoization and patent clauses will not accept GPLv2 or later. The "or later" clause means a downstream can invoke their rights under the GPLv3 to demand secret encryption keys or upstream can revoke the license for patent action. These organizations do not accept GPLv2+ because
it's effectively GPLv3.

IMHO this point of view should be incorrect... The "or later" clause
should mean that everyone is free to choose the license they want for
REdistribution - GPL2, GPL3 or maybe GPL4 in the future :) and they don't
need to fulfill the GPL3 requirements in that case. But anyone can take
their code, modify and REdistribute it under GPL3.

--
With best regards,
    Vitaliy Filippov