Re: Fwd: Re: several SIGSEGV bugs in debian 7/AMD64

Hi Rene!

On 12/28/2013 09:52 PM, René Kuligowski wrote:
> Thanks for your quick answer,… but (sounds like a pouting little boy, I
> know):
> Sorry, but I cannot file a bug report against, say, nvidia-glx, because
> it is most likely not the cause.  The problem is far more likely kernel
> 3.x- and/or gcc-related, and I need somebody who knows more intimate
> workings of debian 7 before I can file a bug report to the correct
> topic/person:

You can still file the bug report against a particular package. If it
turns out to be assigned to the wrong package, we can still change
that afterwards at any time.

Also, you still need to be more specific. A bug report in the sense
of "Debian 7 crashes on my old computer, Debian 6 didn't", isn't helpful
at all. Debian comes with over 15.000 source packages and there are
billions of hardware combinations out there.

Unless someone at Debian can get hold of a crystal ball, it's simply
impossible to debug your problem with the information that you
provided.

> –– newer BIOS for my machine does not exist.  Current/last is from
> 2009.  And, like I wrote, it works perfectly with debian 6 (kernel 2.6)
> or winXP/win7.  *without* *any* problems. And I don't exactly care if
> APM/ACPI standards have changed in the meantime.  Debian used to be
> backward-compatible to even twenty-years-old hardware and their specs.

You got me wrong. ACPI standards didn't change, I never said that. What
I said is that lots of BIOS firmware has incorrect implementations of
the ACPI specification and you probably need to patch your ACPI tables
(there are tools for that out there).

In any case, it's still your job to write a detailed bug report and
trying to pin point your problem to a certain package, e.g. "Updating
nvidia-glx from version 123.45 to 155.99 brought my graphics with
my nVidia GeForce 123 graphics adapter". Again, without this
information, any attempt to help you will be futile.

> –– no capacitor or other hardware related issues.  Cannot be, also,
> because things would shred under debian 6 and winXP/win7, too, which
> they don't.  Things are a bit older, but tended well to.

Bad capacitors tend to cause all kinds of problems, including those
that don't make any sense at first sight. I have often seen people
overlooking bad capacitors, especially since not all bad capacitors
tend to bulge.

> –– with NVidia modules tailor-made and compiled for the running kernel
> by the installer, the current X screen (the tty "behind" it) shows
> SIGSEGV and dump notes with/from/by several system librares.  I'll see
> if I can find a way to send you a screendump/log-extract.

Well, if it turns out to be a bug in the proprietary nVidia driver,
there is nothing Debian can actually do to fix this. This driver
is closed-source, thus only nVidia can make changes to it to fix
bugs.

Debian can fix bugs in the nouveau driver only which is recommended
for older nVidia cards anyway unless you want to do some serious
gaming. My Debian workstation sports a GeForce 210 which isn't that
old but also not a gaming board and I have been using nouveau ever
since without any problems. It's surely not fast enough for 3D
gaming, but 2D stuff is fine.

> Hence, my indirect question if there is an
> official 2.6 kernel for debian 7.

No, there isn't and it's certainly not sensible to use older kernels.
There might be important daemons like udevd which might need a more
recent kernel.

I don't want to experiment with the
> 2.6 sources on an "unknown" and differently behaving operating system
> myself, and I don't know if it even would run without compiling the
> whole 7 distro from scratch again.

What? Building your own kernel is one of the easiest things to do. Fetch
the source, unpack it, copy your current config from /boot-`uname -r`
into the root directory of the sources as ".config" and run "make
oldconfig".

> Please do not tell me "heck, just buy a more modern gfx card or a whole
> new machine, will you", because that wouldn't accomplish anything.  I
> need the old ones.  And debian once was a distribution that ran on
> everything from oldest to newest.

No, but you should do a little more research yourself. Firstly, this
is not the "debian-user" mailing list but "debian-devel", we don't
provide support here. And, secondly, you can't expect people here
fixing your computer for free. Nothing indicates so far that your
problems are related to any bugs, you are just making assumptions.

Again, file a proper and detailed bug report against a particular
package and people will gladly be helping you.

Cheers,

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz