Re: GnuTLS in Debian

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:25:40AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 22, Moritz Mühlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:

> > We should do that (and also reevaluate the position wrt OpenSSL) by
> > running it by the Software Freedom Law Center.

> > Red Hat has real lawyers who looked into the issue, we should do the
> > same.
> Agreed, Debian has been promoting bad decisions due to developers
> playing armchair lawyers for way too long.

Red Hat only needs to meet the standard that they don't think there's risk
to the company of being sued for a license violation.  Debian holds itself
to a higher, ethical standard of complying with the license even when the
risks are small.

Your insulting reference to laymen who are capable of reading and reasoning
about license terms as "armchair lawyers" doesn't magically make the text of
the license ignorable.