Re: dpkg with new Essential (Was: pidof changing from sysvinit-devel to procps)

Hello,

2013-12-09 03:55, Ben Hutchings:
> On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 13:56 +1100, Craig Small wrote:
> > As pidof is moving from sysvinit-utils to procps-base in the next
> > release, I want to check I've got the way dpkg handles flags correctly.
> >
> > procps-base will contain the new pidof and will be
> >   Essential: yes
> >   Breaks: sysvinit-utils << 2.88dsf-43
> >
> > Now, if there is a new Essential package, is that automatically
> > installed?
>
> Yes, apt automatically installs new essential packages (possibly
> dependent on score).

Unless this is documented in Debian Policy, please don't depend on this
specific behavior [1] and make a transitional dependency, AFAIK this is
how it was done for several transitions of Essential packages in the
past.

[1] there are other package managers, plus automatic installation has
its pitfalls too.

C++ GNU/Linux userspace developer, Debian Developer