dpkg with new Essential (Was: pidof changing from sysvinit-devel to procps)

As pidof is moving from sysvinit-utils to procps-base in the next
release, I want to check I've got the way dpkg handles flags correctly.

procps-base will contain the new pidof and will be
  Essential: yes
  Breaks: sysvinit-utils << 2.88dsf-43

Now, if there is a new Essential package, is that automatically
installed?
What happens with the Essential and Breaks, one says "install this now"
the other says "dont install this if a verison of sysvinit-utils is
there".  That's a bit of a conflict.

Is Replaces a better way of doing this as procps-base is replacing
one file from sysvinit-utils?

Other than removing pidof, is there anything the syscinit-utils
people need to do?

As its a bit tricky, I really don't want to mess up the
inter-dependencies. A non-working file init uses is a bad thing.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small (@smallsees)   http://enc.com.au/       csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org/   csmall at : debian.org