Re: Bits from ARM porters

+++ Aurelien Jarno [2013-12-03 01:56 +0100]:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 12:43:36AM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:
> > 5.2 Setup arm64 debian-ports
> > ────────────────────────────
> >
> >   ⁃ arm64 setup as new bootstrapping port
> >   ⁃ manual builds could be uploaded but possible lack of space
> >   ⁃ 9 more packages needed for a minimal bootstrap
>
> I have been contacted by Wookey earlier this year about adding arm64
> port to debian-ports, and everything is now ready.

Yes, thanks very much for doing that. (Although I never got an email
about it, so only noticed because someone pointed out it was there)

> I am still waiting for the buildds email addresses and ssh key though.

We're still waiting for a machine we can actually use as a buildd.

In the meantime I've set up an 80-core amd64 machine to run models on.
I'm in the process of setting that up so that it can actually be used as
a set of buildds. We'll see how that performs. It's slow, but still good
enough to build hundreds packages/week. And would at least validate the
architecture in debian infra. I expect this to happen this month.

We also (as of today) have part-time access to the early hardware linaro
have, so long as we don't get in the way of other development and
benchmarking work. Actually Riku has access to that machine - I'm not
allowed to log in because of idiotic legal nonsense about NDAs between
ARM and the owners of the hardware (riku is employed by linaro, I'm
seconded from ARM, so only one of poses an unnacceptable threat to their
Imaginary Property).

> It is already possible to upload packages, as space is not an issue on
> debian-ports since we moved to the machine offered by DSA. That said
> adding a new architecture is a problem (I had to add mips64el on the
> waiting list recently), as we are lacking CPU and disk I/O. Remember we
> have about 2/3 of the architectures in the official Debian archive, on
> a single virtual machine.

Understood. We hope not to spend too log in ports, but it depends how
long before a real buildd is aquired.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/