Re: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status

On 11/29/13 10:22, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 09:04:56PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
  * [mips, mipsel] buildds/porterboxes run on hardware which is very old or has known defects:
    - mips octeon is unstable

Better me more precise there, Octeon machines in general are very
stable. That said out of the three machines we have in Debian, two are
unstable, the other one is very stable. We never really understood why,
we only have remarked they have different CPU revision number.

Octeon is one of the most active MIPS ports in Linux upstream.

Lately, there is renewed interest in this platform, due to some new Octeon-based router products by Ubiquity being extremely cheap, performant and hence, relatively speaking, very popular. Those run a modified Debian distribution (*not* a derivative, Debian's apt sources are recommended by the vendor)

This obviously isn't sufficient for Debian to consider mips as a release architecture, but the statement "octeon is unstable" is obviously overly broad and incorrect, as Aurelien also points out.

Regards,
Faidon