Re: Cross-directory hard links in Debian packages

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> Looking at publican a number of questions occur to me
>
>  * why hardlink all of the contents of
>    /usr/share/doc/publican/Users_Guide/desktop/$LOCALE/Common_Content
>    together rather than symlink them to some common directory like
>    /usr/share/publican/Common_Content? Is it because there might be
>    additions or omissions across locales?

An HTML book generated by Publican is supposed to be self-contained. That
way it can be served by a webserver without any special configuration. It
can also be copied without troubles.

>    * Can/should that not be handled within the tool itself (implement
>      a multi-directory lookup process)

In web browsers?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/