Re: MIPS64EL port box is ready for use (Was: mips64el port build failed list)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Graham Whaley <graham.whaley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 October 2013 17:22, YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After more than half of a year's hard work, we have the mips64el port
>> almost done.
>> Now we have more than 7600 packages build successfully.
>> The current build status can be found in http://vip.moonux.org/attempted/
>

> Hey! - well done. That's quite some effort!
>

>> Now I get a new board and give it 18GiB DDR3 memory and 1TB hardisk.
>> Most important is that it is running a Debian Unstable, MIPS64EL.
>

> Nice. Can I ask which board that is? I have some boards reserved for me in
> Loongson that I am highly likely to purchase, and suspect (but would like to
> confirm) that they are the same board that you are using. I will also check
> on any further availability. If I can I will donate one/some of these for
> Debian as well.

It is a development board donated by Lemote, and we were told that it
was used for internal testing.

>> Anyone has need to port package(s) can apply a account.
>> Please post me your ssh public key signed by a trust-able PGP key.
>>
>> I also working on make a rootfs to make it easy to install this port.
>>
>> Here we still have 2 problems:
>>    1. I believe that it is time of use to talk about how to make this
>> port to debian-ports.org.
>>         Anyone can help us?
>
> One of the issues will be hardware availability. If I can source the above
> boards (which it looks like I can), then I can help with that. Also, we are
> trying out the Loongson 2F mini-PC's, expanding their RAM to their maximum
> (which may only be 1Gbyte, but we hope 2Gbyte), and adding SSD's. If that
> works out then they are cheaper, available, and we can relatively easily
> build a small farm of those for (donated to) Debian I hope.

I don't think Loongson 2F mini-PC is a good choice since the limited
amount of DIMMs and its limitation on using DDR2 memory only. It's not
quite cost effective comparing with the 3A server boards. We've found
that even the development board has competent performance for being a
buildd. The board uses DDR3 memory add it performs much better than
any other Loongson 2/3 products (Gdium Liberty, 2E/F mini-PC, 3A
notebook) which uses DDR2 memory.

>>    2. Which ISA  to be used for this port when it is in debian-ports.
>>         Now we use mips64r2 with tune loongson3a.
>>         Should we downgrade ISA requirement to mips3 or mips64?
>>

> Much though I would love to say go with MIPS64R2, I suspect for the main
> debian-ports.org upload that is not the best single choice. The Loongson 2F
> cores are MIPSIII I believe, as are some other platforms. I have a suspicion
> that some of the Broadcom chips for instance are MIPS32R1.
> I would suggest that we go with MIPSIII for the first mips64le upload, and
> then we can work on MIPS32R2 for the 'unofficial ports' to begin with. What
> do you think ?

It would require much more resource to spend on making more ports,
this means more build machines and man power, which is not sufficient
at mean time.