Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

Steven Chamberlain dixit:

>Come to think of it, it must take a day or more for m68k to rebuild
>eglibc.  This is a more serious problem than resources needed by

Kernel takes a day now (on the fastest VMs), eglibc 3 days,
gcc 5 days (since gcj got folded into it; add another day or
so once gnat will also be folded).

>Jenkins.  We can't ask them to rebuild their entire toolchain each night!

No OpenJDK either (can probably be fixed, but zero is sloooooow).

Additionally, with only, say, 256 or 768 MiB physmem, running
additional software on the buildds is something you do not want,
considering how much RAM building some stuff takes (I had to use
about 5 GiB of swap to link Webkit, and imagine just how much
paging that involves, also in terms of time). Building GCC isn’t
exactly resource-saving. (Even running apt/dpkg isn’t due to the
sheer size of the archive, though Guillem kindly reduced memory
usage in the upcoming dpkg upload.)

I think with my “better SCC proposal” we could have a sliding
scale for this, but I’d oppose using something OpenJDK-based
for that (think of mipsel, too). Especially as simple mksh
scripts would take care of the job too (including CGI for web
export ;).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Solange man keine schmutzigen Tricks macht, und ich meine *wirklich*
schmutzige Tricks, wie bei einer doppelt verketteten Liste beide