Re: libravatar in the BTS [Re: bugs.debian.org: something's wrong...]

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 01:34:56PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > And I will be implementing caching to address the concerns about web
> > tracking, and more importantly, the lack of federation. See #703119
> > et al.
>
> The caching is a good idea, although I don't think it fully solves the
> discussed concerns.

The avatars are now fully federated, and all caching and retrieval is
now done from debian.org resources, which should mitigate the privacy
concerns.

Anyone who wants to set up their own
http://wiki.libravatar.org/running_your_own/, or you can use libravatar
or gravatar if you do not wish to do so (or you can do nothing, and no
image will be displayed for you.)

It can sometimes happen that a scholar, his task completed, discovers
that he has no one to thank. Never mind. He will invent some debts.
Research without indebtedness is suspect, and somebody must always,
somehow, be thanked.
 -- Umberto Eco "How to Write an Introduction"