Re: Upcoming stable point release (7.2)

On Sun, 2013-09-22 at 21:33 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 08:11:10PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > The next point release for "wheezy" (7.2) is scheduled for Saturday
> > October 12th.  Stable NEW will be frozen during the preceding weekend.
>
> Can you please clarify what is acceptable for uploads to proposed
> updates to get them into stable?

To pre-empt a potential follow-up: I'm aware that you have a request in
the queue, and that it needs replying to. I'm going to assume that this
was a general request unrelated to that.

To quote from <20100214190427.GA28500@kelgar.0x539.de>:

"
As a general rule of thumb, a patch is likely to be acceptable for a
stable update if it:

* Fixes a bug of severity Important or higher, filed in the Debian BTS
* Has been thoroughly tested in unstable
"

Beyond that, minimal changes are preferable as they ease review and help
reduce the likelihood of the update having unexpected / undesirable
impact on users of stable.

The exact details will depend on the individual update (as, contrary to
some opinion, they are reviewed by real people) but in general minimal
changes implies not adding dependencies (unless the lack of such was the
cause of the bug), nor modifying patch systems, build system helpers,
source package formats and so on.

Regards,

Adam