Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 19:19:22 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Julien Cristau writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:43:29 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > I should also mention a non-goal:
> > >
> > >  * I have no plans to support a workflow where dgit's git tree
> > >    contains different contents to the source packages.
> > >
> > To me the tree that matters is the one after debian/rules clean, not
> > dpkg-source -x.  For most of the packages I touch, a lot of files get
> > removed by debian/rules clean.  Does the above mean that dgit will only
> > look at the tree as extracted by dpkg-source?
>
> Yes.  The "tree of the source package" is the what you get from
> dpkg-source -x.
>
> TBPH I think it's a bug if build followed by clean doesn't restore the
> package to the state you got out of dpkg-source.  I don't want to
> argue that as a policy change right now, but I don't have much
> interest in adding code to dgit to better support the maintainers of
> packages which are broken in this way.
>
> You can just use git clean and git reset of course, so this doesn't
> stop you using dgit.
>
> In particular, if the package you are working with leaves droppings in
> the source tree which its clean target doesn't pick up,
>   dgit sbuild -wg
> will use git-clean to remove them before building the source package.
> So your source package won't contain the droppings.
>
> Or do you mean that you have files in your git branch which are
> removed by debian/rules clean ?  (I'm no longer ruling anything out
> merely on the grounds that it would be utterly insane...)

No, I mean the upstream tarball contains autotools-generated files that
debian/rules deletes (and that aren't in my, or upstream's, git tree).
dpkg-source ignores removals when generating the debian diff, so they're
extracted by dpkg-source -x, but since the first step after that is
pretty much always debian/rules clean, they're irrelevant.

Cheers,
Julien