Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery writes:

>> debian/source/local-options and debian/source/local-patch-header are
>> included in the working Git repository for the package but are not
>> included in the source package as uplaoded to Debian.  (Yes, this means
>> that they're somewhat directly contrary to the whole point of dgit.
>> However, they're the best available mechanism to use a single patch for
>> all changes with the 3.0 (quilt) package format if one doesn't want to
>> attempt to track changes as separate patches.)

> So dpkg-source strips these options files out when it builds the
> package ?

Correct.

> Surely then if someone does an NMU based on the source package the
> "single debian patch"ness will be lost ?

Correct, and that's partly the point.  It means that the maintainer
changes are collected into one patch, but NMU patches are kept separate
from that one patch.  (So I guess I misspoke -- it's not exactly like the
1.0 format patch situation.  It's like that for the maintainer, but
maintains separate NMU patches.)